Officers from Romsey’s Neighbourhood Policing Team are out in force to deter shoplifters in the run-up to Christmas.
Operation Scrooge sees officers liaising with retailers, giving advice to shoppers and carrying out high-visibility patrols in Romsey town centre.
The operation started on Saturday 1 December and will run until Christmas.
Although Romsey is generally a safe place to live and work, some people will want to take advantage of shoppers and businesses at this time of year.
We would like to remind people of the steps they can take to protect their property.
For shoppers, remember to:
- Never leave a bag unattended in a trolley, even if for a couple of seconds
- Make sure your handbag is closed
- Try to keep wallets in an inside pocket and out of sight from a potential pickpocket
- Keep your PIN confidential
- Try to pay for items on a debit card, rather than carry large amounts of cash, if possible
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and locked before leaving your car
- Ensure high value stock is stored in a secure location – preferably in a locked area
- Keep high value or desirable items close to staff when displayed on the shop floor
- Log any suspicious activity
- Be alert when taking deliveries, especially with high value stock
- When placing additional stock out for Christmas, make sure it doesn’t block the view for your CCTV cameras
- Ensure all private areas are locked, and the public do not have access
Advice for retailers can be found at: https://www.hampshire.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/shoplifting/how-secure-is-your-shop/