A 35 year-old man from Gosport who admitted burglary and two counts of attempted burglary at Portsmouth Crown Court has been sentenced to a total of three years in prison.
During the early hours of Sunday 1 July 2018, Eamon Reade of no fixed address in the Gosport area broke the glazing in the front door of a home on Stoke Road in Gosport. This woke the homeowner, who a short time later noticed Reade acting suspiciously outside a neighbouring property where a window had been forced open. Reade’s blood was later found on the window. Reade was then seen later in the day in the same area and then kicked in the front door of the first property he had tried to burgle. The homeowner was there at the time and Reade was chased away by someone from inside the property. Nothing was taken.
On Monday 3 December at Portsmouth Crown Court Reade admitted three offences and was sentenced to; twenty-seven months in prison for burglary, nine months in prison to be served concurrently to the first count for attempting to burgle, and nine months in prison to be served consecutively to the other two counts for attempting to burgle. Reade will serve a total of three years in prison.
Investigating officer DC Martin Alderton said: “The sentence reflects the seriousness of Eamon Reade’s offending. We will undertake an investigation and secure a conviction like this for these types of incidents wherever possible”.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind people of the following crime prevention advice:
- Shut all windows and lock them when you are not using the room, at night, and when you leave your property
- Lock all front and rear doors at night and when you are out. If you have a UPVC door with a multi-point lock ensure you lift the handle and lock it with the key.
- Put all car keys and other keys out of sight and not in reach of windows and letterboxes. It doesn't take much for the keys to be hooked through the letterbox.
- Leave a light on so your home looks occupied if you are going out for the evening. If you head out while it is still daylight and won't be back till after dark then a timer switches (available from most DIY stores) can be useful in turning your lights, radios and other appliances on at a set time before you get back.
- Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
- Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden; lock them away in your shed.
- Have an intruder alarm system installed by an approved contractor. Ensure a visible alarm box is attached to the outside of your home. Also consider fitting security lighting.
- Use door chains and spy holes to give you extra security if someone knocks on your door. Never be afraid to turn people away. If you have concerns about anyone who has come to your door call the police.
- Record the details of your property such as serial numbers for electronic goods on the Immobilise website (https://www.immobilise.com/)